Job Alerts

Sign up to receive custom job alerts and to apply for jobs through the website.

A password will be e-mailed to you.

How to Become a Social Worker

If you want to become a social worker you will need a professional qualification in social work. The most common route is to complete a Social Work degree, offered by many UK universities including Anglia Ruskin University, University of East Anglia and the University of Lincoln.

If you’ve already completed a degree in a different subject, you can complete a post graduate qualification in social work.

One route into social work for graduates is called ‘Step Up to Social Work’. The course runs on a bi-yearly basis and applications for the next intake will commence at the start of 2021, subject to funding.

Not only is this route into social work an intensive one, competition for places is very high. To provide yourself with the best chance of success, applicants are recommended to find employment or volunteer working with children, young people or families to exceed the minimum requirement of 6 months experience of voluntary or paid work in those areas.

Peterborough City Council offer apprenticeships in social work to current employees. To be eligible to apply, staff need to have worked for Peterborough City Council for at least two years in a role that involves direct work with social care service users. We cannot guarantee places on the apprenticeship for staff who are eligible to apply as there are a limited number of places each year and many people apply.

The support I’ve had from my Group Manger and Heads of service has helped me to believe that I can go to university and become a Social Worker – Sophie, Social Work Apprentice

If you are looking to gain experience in social care, Peterborough City Council regularly advertise non-social work vacancies in social care, such as Social Care Practitioner.

Once you have secured your Social Work qualification, you’ll need to register with Social Work England. Now you’re ready to find a job! All the vacancies in Children’s Services at Peterborough City Council are shown on this site.

As with most social work positions for graduates or postgraduates, you will need further training and evaluation. Newly qualified social workers start work with an assessed and supported year in employment (ASYE). This is a standard programme which will help you transition from learning about social work to doing it in practice.